Monday, September 24, 2007

Ever had an Upper GI?

I would imagine that most people would find the experience no big deal. At most, some people might think it was mildly uncomfortable. My experience was somewhat different.

I arrive on time for my appointment and didn't have to wait too long for them to take me back and have me put on a hospital gown. Then I was made to wait in an area with several other people ... men and women ... which was a bit uncomfortable, given what I was wearing ... or not wearing. I was then taken in for an initial x-ray.

After that the real wait began. I must have been sitting there for a half hour to 45 minutes before I was taken in the room where they do the upper GI ... then another long wait for the doctor to come in.

They make you drink 2 cups of a chalky substance called barium sulfate while they watch it travel down your body. The stuff is nasty tasting. I had a hard time getting it down without it wanting to come back up, but then I can't drink Pepto Bismol without it coming back up, so I didn't think much of it.

The good news was that the stuff traveled through my system in record time. I was able to get out of there quickly after I finished drinking the stuff. In other words, it went straight through me. Now I'm starting to wonder if that is good news or cause for concern.

The bad news is that I am one of the very small percent of people in this world who is allergic to barium sulfate. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, since I'm allergic to metal. I can't get a shot without running a fever or wear jewelry without breaking out in a rash.

The nurse told me that I might suffer constipation from the barium sulfate. I should have been so lucky. I also should have known my body would react differently. By the time I got home, diarrhea had hit. This was quickly followed by my blood pressure going up. A splitting headache followed (probably due to the rise in my blood pressure).

My sense of taste was gone too. I started drinking a diet coke when I got home, but thought it was flat. I then tried a diet creme soda, only to find it tasted flat too.

Add to those sympthoms some almost crippling cramps that had me doubled over at times, and you get a very nasty afternoon. At one point I gave serious consideration to calling 911, but I took some asprin and slept for 3 hours instead.

Needless to say, the next time a doctor suggests an upper GI, I will politely decline their suggestion.

No comments: