Sunday, September 30, 2007

Wishing Upon a Star

The past week has been a hard one. My health has not been the best due to the effects of the reaction I had to the upper GI and my illness. I haven't slept well all month either. The lack of sleep and health have put me in a very depressed state of mind. There are times when I feel like I'm going on adrenaline just to drag myself upright and put one foot in front of the other. I'm missing that constant smile of mine.

Tomorrow is the birthday of my aunt, Gladys, and my best friend, Charlotte. Both of them died of cancer and both had profound influences on my life. My aunt died over 10 years ago and Charlotte died two years ago. I still miss them to this day.

Combining all of the above, you find me in a reflective mood this past week. I've really taken a hard look at my life and where I want to go with it. I couldn't do a whole lot else since I wasn't feeling well. I spent a lot of time thinking on my couch, which is where I'm heading again as soon as I post this.

As much as I loved my former boyfriend, I've come to realize in the past few weeks that I have to let go of the dream. It is possible that it was all a mirage anyway. I don't want to spend the rest of my life alone ... like I am now. It was my friends who called to check on me when I was sick this past week. I haven't heard from him in over a month again and I can't sit here and wait for the phone to ring any longer. He has never been there for me when I needed him most, and he never will be. It's time for me to wake up to the truth.

There is no anger at him in this decision, only pain and tears.

My friend "J" told me earlier this week that I was like a figurine ... sitting on a shelf ... waiting to be noticed. I've mulled that one over all week. I started to wonder if it would be another 8 months before I heard from my former boyfriend again and if I was going to sit on that shelf waiting ... once again ... staring at the picture beside my bedside and my monitor and eating my heart out.

Yesterday, a dear friend "P" sent me a song, "When You Wish Upon a Star", from the Disney movie "Pinocchio". Right now that song and movie seem very appropriate. I no longer want to be that figurine (puppet). I want to be a real woman who has someone who loves and cares about her and how she is doing. I want to have a man in my life that I can love and pamper and give the gift of all the love I have in my heart. I want to have someone who makes me smile and laugh again ... instead of crying. Is it possible that I've found him?

I've been wishing upon a star for years, perhaps it is time for me to make a new wish, so new dreams will come true. My old dream seems to have died due to neglect. I am also beginning to wonder how much my ill health has to do with this pain that I'm in. While I was dusting his pictures, I have become "dusty" on that shelf from being left alone so long. Like the poem I posted on June 23, loneliness gnaws at my soul and a void has opened up inside me. I've put the pictures away, now it's time to move on.

There has to be someone out there who will love and care about me whom I can love and care about also. Right now that dream I had and posted about is much on my mind. I'm in so much pain right now that I can't bear the thought that it will never go away. I just hoping and praying that "the dream" doesn't come true. I'm hoping it was just a nightmare brought about by my tortured mind in its loneliness. I'm hoping my friend is right and the dream portrays the sunshine of happiness that is yet to come.

Two of my friends, one my doctor and the other my former co-worker, urged me to sign up on an online dating site. I have followed their advice. It tears my heart out to do so, but I'm clear in my profile that I'm looking for a friend. I'll give it a couple of months and see how it goes. I promised them I would. I've already met two very nice men "J" and "P" ... I think will be great friends.

No comments: